"My style of artwork calls for brilliant colors and strong values. I strive to capture the moods and mysteries of animals and people. Images are first conceptualized and sketched. Then, since realism in colored pencil (my predominant media), can be time intensive, I photograph my subjects and work largely from these reference photos. Visual symbolism and storytelling are components played up and worked into my compositions.
WPW Members’ Show, Monte Cristo Hotel, Everett, WA. 11/15-1/3/08
CPSA “Explore This!” 4 Internatl. Juried Show. Brea, CA.
2006 CPSA Signature Showcase, Cornell Mus. of Art/History Delray Beach, Fl.
2006 “The Human Element” Juried Natl. Show, Dunedin, Florida
- "Northwest Color," CPSA Four State Regional Exhibition, Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, Washington
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2005 2nd place Figure/Portrait DC 207 “It’s Colored Pencil!” Juried Show, WA., State Convention Center, Seattle, WA.
- 2004 Published in International Artist Magazines, Dec/Jan. and Dec/Jan. 2002: American Artist magazine, March 2004, p. 55
- 2003 The Derwent Fine Art Pencil Award for Outstanding Recognition, monetary award, CPSA International Juried Show, Los Angeles/Brea, CA.
- 2002 Awarded Signature status in CPSA (Colored Pencil Society of America)
- 2001 The A.W. Faber-Castell Award for Outstanding Recognition, monetary award, CPSA International Juried Show, San Francisco, California
- 2000 Award of Excellence, monetary award, CPSA Six State Regional Show, Carnegie Center, Oregon City, Oregon
- 2000, 1998 People’s Choice Award, Shoreline Arts Fest. Juried Art Show, WA.
- 1999 Best of Show, monetary award, Shoreline Arts Festival Juried Art Show
- 2007 Workshop instructor in Pennsylvania (Oct 19-21)
- 2004-present Colored Pencil Workshop instructor
- 2002 Intro. to Colored Pencils, Shoreline Public School teachers, Shoreline, WA.
- 1994 Presenter at WAEA State Conference in Ellensburg
- 1972-2003 Secondary Art Teacher, Shoreline Public Schools, Washington
- 1999-2005 Various CPSA International Convention Workshops
- 1997-2000 Bi-monthly studio time with Ann Kullberg CPSA
- 1993 M.A. Integrating the Arts, Lesley College, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 1985-present Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators critique sessions
- 1972 B.A. Art Education, Fairhaven College, Bellingham, Washington
- 1972-2003 WEA and NEA (Wa and National Education Associations)
- 2004 Juried into Seattle Co-Arts & Women Painters of Washington
- 1999-present. Vice President & Pres. CPSA District Chapter 207 Seattle, WA
- 1997-lifetime CPSA (Colored Pencil Society of America)
- 1994 I am the WA. State Middle School Art Rep. WAEA
Life's a Bowl of Cherries and the Blues
6 x 4 - colored pencil
Father Time - 33.5 x 25.5
Cracking Up - 20 x 16
I'm Cool - 6.75 x 9.75
Passage - 17.5 x 13 - colored pencil
of the Artist.